Monday, October 27, 2008

A mother's amendment

Usually, I suppose, the mother has her own version of the birth story. In this case, the father has all his facts right so I feel that no changes are necessary. I will, however, add a few more details based on my feelings to enhance the experience for everyone.


As we were doing the stress tests in the morning, with the possibility of getting a "gel induction," I was feeling a complete 180-degree feeling reversal. Up to that point I only wanted the baby to come as soon as possible. But being restricted to a hospital bed from the very first labor contractions with Chris chasing Alec around the room was not how I wanted to do it. I desperately did NOT want Charlie to come right then. I was thrilled to be able to leave the hospital and start it "my way." I wanted to be at home, take a long shower, get my bag all packed, put Alec down for a nap, arrange the house a bit better etc. However, the contractions never let up enough for me to have the energy to do much. I did get to take a shower and have a bite of toast but basically I was entering the painful stage of labor. So while we were only at the hospital for 3 hours before Charlie was born, the labor had started much earlier. Chris was amazing through the entire labor and delivery. He said all the right things, offered all the right kind of help, support and counter pressure. He was my rock to hold on to, my shoulder to cry and moan on, and the best labor coach ever. We feel so blessed that he was able to stave off the worst of his sickness/cold until after Charlie was born, and additionally blessed to have my mom here to stay at the hospital with me while Chris went home to sleep and get better.

The actual delivery was pretty exciting since it took only a few pushes after my water broke. In fact the Dr. rushed in a minute or so before Charlie was born. Apparently there was another baby born at 5:01 and Charlie was born at 5:05, delivered by the same doctor. Crazy. With Alec, I remember the aftermath/recovery being horrible and so I am pleasantly surprised by how well, albeit still slow, its going so far. I'm definitely enjoying this newborn stage a little more, since I know how fast it goes. Although give me a few more days to finally have the sleeplessness kick in and I'm sure I'll be telling a different story.
We are so happy to be all together and I've absolutely LOVED watching Alec love and accept Charlie into his life with all his cute 2-year-old energy. He laughs whenever Charlie has hiccups, and laughs whenever he opens his eyes, and wants to hold him and hand him to mommy and rub his head when walking by him. Surprisingly, Alec is actually really gentle without us having to tell him to be.My mom left this afternoon, and so now the real fun begins. Thanks for all your help, Mom. I love you.

8 comments:

Sarah Jane Smith said...

Peter and I enjoyed reading about the arrival of your new little one... both versions :) Congrats to you and your hubbie, you have two gorgeous boys!

tericksen said...

SO ADORABLE...he looks so aware and big already. Can't wait to meet him. Way to go, Britty, you're a champ.

thom and brittany said...

Alec's hair is getting so sweet again! it looks good. he looks so comfortable holding charlie...what a family!!

Kjerstine said...

beautiful little babys!!! :) love it.

dixie said...

It just melts my heart it is so adorable! Thanks for the post and the pictures.

Emily Bateman said...

I feel like it was just yesterday that we were sitting on your bed imagining getting married and NOW LOOK!! Baby Charlie is ADORABLE! I can't wait to see him and Alec at Christmas... and you and Chris of course :D

Radene said...

Love the pictures. Mom looks great! Cute little, boy, can't wait to hold him.

Radene said...

Brittney, your descriptions are so good too. You guys seem so happy. We are so blessed to have you as family! You are a wonderful mother.