Saturday, February 28, 2009

The "happily ever after"

SHORT AND SWEET VERSION PART SEVEN: We part, then reunite, never to be parted again.

LONG VERSION PART SEVEN: Within a week of our first kiss, we happily fell into the habit of seeing each other every day. He’d wake up early and walk me to tennis class. We’d meet somewhere for lunch if we could then I’d do homework next to him while he worked on a computer lab assignment till late. That semester I received the worst grades, by far, of my life. Chris, on the other hand, seemed to have no problem maintaining his 4.0. During finals week, Chris brought me to his house and showed me the amazing view of south Utah valley from his backyard. He told me he loved me and what he loved about me. He’d never said those three words to any other girl before.

Our last date before I left for France

I had a lot of fun that semester, spending so much time with Brittney. I was amazed at times that she was willing to be in the computer lab with me late into the night, or sitting next to me while I slept through my chemistry class. (She would either fall asleep too, or do homework). It gradually became more and more impossible to imagine life without her, and when I was around her, I would just be overwhelmed by the urge to exclaim my love.

A few days later I was on a plane to France to live in Paris for a Study Abroad during spring quarter. He took me to the airport and wrote me about 3 emails a day for the entire 9 week period, even though I was lucky to write once a day. This was a really hard time for me. I still had feelings for my friend on a mission, but being away from Chris helped me see how much I wanted him to be a part of my life forever. I found out I don’t handle being away from him very well. I talked about Chris so much with my roommate, Alex, she once said something like, “Ok Ok, Britt, stop. I get it. Go for Chris, He’s perfect. How am I supposed to find someone for me who seems just as great, I never thought guys like that actually existed.”

Laura, Jeanette, me and Alex in Paris

This for me was a huge turning point in our relationship. Having known that this separation period was coming gave a feeling of safety or non-seriousness to our relationship until this point. I missed her terribly, and for the first few weeks found myself talking to people in phrases like, "Yeah, I really like her, we will see what happens when she gets back." I have had a few times before where a long distance relationship just seems to peter out after some point. A few weeks into our separation, I realized that I didn't want to "see what happens when she gets back", I wanted to date her when she got back. I decided to do everything in my power to stay as close as we could while she was apart so that we could rejoin after france without skipping a beat. In short, I chose Brittney. It was amazing what a difference making that decision made to me and my attitude.

Through emails and phone calls we talked about the future in 3 IC (if clause) categories: 1, If we date when I get back from France then …; 2, If we get married then…; and 3, If we marry and have children then …. Most of our conversations took place in the 2nd and 3rd categories. We got tired of saying all those words, "If we do end up getting married then lets..." so we'd just say, "IC squared, lets travel the world together." Everywhere I went I saw things that reminded me of Chris. I took pictures of them and printed off a collage of them to show Chris when I got home.

Well by the end of the 9 weeks, we were so desperate to see each other that Chris flew up to WA to be able to meet me when I got off the plane. As I was walking toward the edge of security, I was wondering what it'd be like to see him again. What would the first hug and kiss be like? in front of people? awkward? a long time coming? I didn't have to wonder very long. As soon as I was in sight, he ran to me and scooped me up (backpack, purse and all) in a huge hug and without separating more than an inch, kissed me good and long. I tried to pull away a bit, thinking maybe he forgot that my whole family and the rest of the airport was watching, but he held me tight still. We hardly stopped hugging all the way through greeting my family, baggage claim and the car ride home. In fact, some may contend that we didn't stop acting like that for a year or two. Chris' PDA concerns had obviously been overcome.

It was so good to be back with my Brittney. I knew right away that I could never willingly be away from her for that long again. Lucky for me, she agreed to let me hang around with her forever.


One week later we were engaged. Five weeks after that we were married for time and all eternity.

****

Well thats our story, at least all the interesting parts. Thanks for tuning in. Sorry to have it dominate our blog for so long. Mostly, I just wanted to write it down somewhere. We will now return you to the land of cute-kid posts.

4 comments:

Sarah Jane Smith said...

I loved reading your love story Brittney... I am sort of sad its over :) Maybe I will have to write my own one day!

MandaMommy said...

Yippee!! It's as fun to read as a Jane Austen novel! :o)

Ryan + Jess said...

My first memory of you, Brit, was Steve's concert that we went to. I remember thinking Chris was lucky to have found you because you were listening to his crazy lithuanian music in the car!!

Amy said...

I'm glad it had a happy ending--I've been on pins and needles waiting to find out.