Friday, April 17, 2009

The first of many firsts

I ran 5 miles straight for the first time this morning! It actually felt really good until 4 miles or so and then I really started feeling it the last mile. Some friends and I are training for a 1/2 marathon this summer (yes, during our family reunion to answer your question, "Jes-ka!") and so the scary thought is that the runs are only going to get longer. I can wrap my mind around 6 and I can even see 7 as slightly probable, but 8 miles and on seems a physical impossibility for me. I guess we'll see since we're adding about a mile on to our longest runs each week. Its only a matter of time, right?

8 comments:

Ryan + Jess said...

Good for you! I'm still overcoming the feeling of hating running. Just not my thing...

But I've heard that after 5 it gets easier. Don't know if they were LYING when they said that (because I've never run more than 5) but be sure to let me know!!

brittany said...

What an inspiration! I am working towards a 10k this summer, and that seems unatainable to me right now. Maybe the summer after I will make a half. Good luck!

Heather said...

GO Britt!!!! You inspire...
love you,
Mom

cotton-headed-ninny-muggins said...

Whoohoo! You can do it.

There's plenty more where that came from.

Radene said...

You can do it Britt! Good job on your runs. keep up the good work.

Barb: said...

Great job! You can totally do it! And don't worry about the runs getting longer; just one step at a time! And then you'll be amazed that you can run 10 miles and more without a problem!

Amy said...

Go, Brittney, go!

Hawks said...

Trust me...i thought running 5 was a miracle the first time I did it..but soon you'll get in the groove and you realize that you can do it...If you need anything let me know...i know lots of secrets to make the runs more comfortable...Next April I am going to do the Half-Marathon in SLC!