Thursday, April 2, 2009

I must be crazy

I let Alec try on his new underwear we got him a few months back, the same time as our oh so lame potty-training attempt #1. (He had 1 success and then refused to sit anywhere near the potty again. We didn't push it and stopped suggesting the potty after a few days) Since we never actually put him in underwear I brought up the subject when he was making a fuss about me changing his diaper this morning. I told him if he wore underwear and went in the potty I wouldn't have to change his diaper. He seemed to like that idea and seemed to really enjoy wearing his cute little briefs. 5 minutes later he had an accident and pointing to the wet spot on his pants said, "happened, mommy? whats that, mommy?" I put a new pair on and new pants and sent him off to playschool (with permission from the teacher/my friend and instructions to call me if he needs anything). Hmm... what was I thinking this morning? How could I have been so casual about something so complicated? I wanted to go shopping during playschool and now it seems I've committed myself to be home changing wet underwear and pants all day... I haven't even thought about messy accidents. I must be crazy.

In other news, I've made a few "List to do"s with Alec recently (things for both of us to do). He'll run his finger across the words and say something similar. For example, while pointing to the words "take naps" he'll say, "eh, eh, eh sleeping, eh Nap Time!" and "get dressed" reads "eh, eh, clothes on." I'm creating a list/box-checker/sticker-putter-oner monster. Like mother like son. Yes, those are Pocahontas stickers. I wanted to be her when I was 10.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love your to do list....great drawings!! Brittney, you are a GREAT mom...lucky Alec, lucky Charlie,...

There is just something so adorable about a little child in first underpants...so tiny compared to diapers...so hopeful for success...

LOVE YOU, BRITT <3

Ryan + Jess said...

Potty training...not looking forward to those days. But maybe not making a big deal about it will be better for him, he will adjust to it better! You'll have to give me lots of pointers some day.

LOVE the to-do lists. I can't wait for the day when I can get one of those big easels for Mady. I think it's great to get Alec involved in the things you need to do that day. You are so very creative!