Saturday, July 25, 2009

Poor Alec

Alec woke up worse this morning. The dominate (by far!) color of his face is deep brick red. It has spread more on his arms and back. and is looking more intense. The good news is that it looks worse than it actually is. Our visit to the doctor today left us to understand that the rash itself isn't serious or contagious. They're not 100% sure, but they think its likely he contracted the Epstein-Barr Virus (supposedly an extremely common childhood infection) and his large scale rash reaction to it is consistent with the Gianotti-Crosti Syndrome. I don't understand much of this but what I gather is this:
  • Epstein-Barr Virus is only contagious through saliva
  • EBV can look like different things (no reaction, fever, vomit, diarrhea etc..) for different people. Therefore its possible Charlie could already have had it .... or he still could get it.
  • The rash on his skin can get worse and last for up to 6 weeks! It is good to note that so far, it does NOT itch or seem to bother Alec much.
  • Alec has had a continual low-grade fever not topping 101.
  • His mouth/lips/throat are quite painful and as a result he can't eat or drink without screaming, "it hurts! something in my mouth...hurting me." Even just the thought of eating or sucking makes him cry this way.
  • The biggest danger is dehydration. Also we need to look out for a high fever persisting for 3-5 days
  • Alec looks and (with the exception of a few hours here and there) acts miserably.
I'm not sure I can do this for 2 weeks (average duration time) let alone 6 weeks. Anyone have any ideas on how to help kids drink/eat despite sore throats? Poor Alec.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Poor guy!! My suggestions are things soft, or liquidy: yogurt, jello, ice cream, pudding, etc. Maybe try to make it fun and exciting to distract him from the pain of eating and drinking. Sorry I don't have any more suggestions. Good luck Brittney. We hope that it only lasts 2 weeks (or less) and not 6!

Stephanie said...

lot of popsicles -- buy a big box of otter pops

Ashley said...

Poor Alec! That sounds miserable. It might help to use a straw. And try warm liquids. The heat feels better on sore throats. Good luck!

dixie said...

I'm so sorry--he just looks so sad. I'm glad that it doesn't itch--that would be unbearable. Hopefully it will get better quickly. We'll pray for you all.

Shelly Beth said...

Poor guy, he looks miserable! I don't have any new suggestions other than what's already been posted, but I hope something works! And poor you! It is always miserable for the parent to see their child in pain! I hope you don't feel too helpless for too long! Good luck!

brittany said...

Poor Alec! We will be praying for you and Alec, and that he will get feeling better. Keep us posted on any developments.

Radene said...

Oh My! Yes, if that picture was my child I would be freaked. I hope Alec feels better soon! We've been thinking of you guys.