Friday, August 21, 2009

Opposites

Goodness gracious today and yesterday have been as different as night and day! Yesterday was possibly a perfect day, and I'm not only referring to the weather. Besides a few short tantrums Alec was happy and kind and so enjoyable, giving his brother toys when he cried and asking in that cute "happy voice" to play FILL-IN-THE-BLANK with him. Charlie was slightly fussy but still easily excitable with standing up and being "walked" around, throwing balls and giving kisses. There were too many moments I wanted to remember to write in my Happiness Journal that I can't actually focus on one long enough to fully record it: beautiful house plants, long naps, Charlie on the slide, Alec tossing the frisbee, quick and yummy leftovers, Chris playing with the kids and smiling at me, girls movie night, the stars.

Sometime during the night Alec embraced his inner Hyde. Without embellishment I can honestly say that every phrase out of Alec's mouth spoken to me (and many not directed to me) have been voiced with a cross between a whine and a guttural scream. I should mention and be grateful that at least his transformation hasn't turned physically destructive, just elusive as he twists and runs away from whatever he can tell I want him to do. Somehow I've actually managed to last all day without yelling (a feat so unusual that it must be recorded for posterity). Maybe it is because I still have some leftover happiness from yesterday. I guess, on a contemplative note, there truly must be "opposition in all things" for how could I know joy if I didn't also know misery? So here's to making it through misery.



**I actually have a wonderful picture to put with this post, but unfortunately for you its mental so I'll have to describe it. I'm standing in our kitchen with my purse on my shoulder, ready to go out the door to take the kids to the library so Alec can turn in his list of 50 new books read this summer and receive a "special surprise." I've got PB&J on my fingers since I'm half-way through making lunch for the boys to bring with us/eat immediately when we get home since I know we'll be cutting our library trip close with lunch time. I've got the gate closed off to make the sandwiches without Alec and Charlie tripping me up by clinging to my pants as they've done earlier this morning. Both Alec and Charlie are holding onto the gate jumping up and down. Alec crying about wanting to eat some cookies, Charlie throwing his head back and screaming about who-knows-what. With my clean hand I'm searching through my purse for the cell phone to take a picture of this scene as I somehow find it humorous. But I can't find it and decide to not prolong their agony by leaping over them to find the camera. Instead I open the gate and pick them up. Chris would've been so proud.** FYI - this picture is only worth 220 words, sorry you got short changed.

3 comments:

MandaMommy said...

I think there are probably several adjectives you could have thrown in there to beef the picture up a bit, like monstrous, insane, crazy, horrific... and maybe a few nouns like cacophony and rage. But that's okay, I get the picture. I hope it shapes up to be more like yesterday's perfect day! And good job not yelling! That is a MAJOR accomplishment!

Ryan + Jess said...

That feels so shockingly similar to moments around here that I had to laugh. It always seems like a great day is followed by a not-so-great. At least your reservoir of happiness and patience is filled and depleted, only to be filled again.

Heather said...

Glad that you could see some humor...sometimes laughing our way through tough times is the only way to go :) Many, many times I'm reminded how blessed we are to have your Dad's goofy sense of fun to help us to lighten up...