Wednesday, September 16, 2009

EBV

It has now been long enough that we won't scare any of our friends from hugging Alec ever again so we can unveil the scary pictures. Many of you will remember Alec's rare reaction to the common Epstein-Barr Virus. Most kids just exhibit symptoms similar to that of a bad cold, Alec broke out in a crazy rash that extended into his mouth and throat making eating very painful. The rash itself wasn't bothersome, no itching or burning but as these pictures can attest it was awful-looking.

These pictures are chronological so you can see how the rash developed: first the face then back, torso, and finally extremities. His face got less swollen as the rash progressed from red raised dots to purple patches.



Silver Lining? Yes, there is always a silver lining. Because Alec's mouth hurt so bad from the sores he couldn't suck on his pacifier (he has only ever been able to have it while sleeping). The first night it bothered him alot, he cried for a little bit, then fell asleep holding his pacifer. The next night he just held it without crying any and the following night he didn't need to hold it at all. He was completely weened. Charlie still uses the exact same kind and he has never asked to have it back. Whew! We were bracing ourselves for quite a transition but I guess all you need is a little, violent, harmless attack of EBV. Totally recommend it.

8 comments:

Megs said...

poor thing! oh my gosh that looks horrible. so glad he's better! and that's awesome about the binky. it took maggie 6 months to get over her's being gone.

nicole said...

so sad! he looks great now :)

Ryan + Jess said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I seriously just want to CRY thinking about how awful that must have been. And scary.

I'm so glad you figured out what was going on and that he is recovered. And great news about the binky. I guess we have been "lucky" in that neither of our kids got really attached to them. But it was kind of rough when they were little and didn't have it to soothe them. Oh well.

Love you guys!

Aaron and Cera said...

OUCH! I'm all itchy now! Poor little guy! That looks terribly painful! I'm glad he's doing better- we just got rid of the passy too in the past few months.. so glad to have that thing gone! Congrats on that!

Chelsea & Skyler said...

Oooo my goodness, I just got all teary, that little sweet heart. I can't imagine how hard it would be to see your lil guy like that. I'm so glad he is back to cute again :)

Renee said...

That is really scary looking! So glad it wasn't anything too serious.

Radene said...

yikes, wow, those pictures make a mom's heart hurt! So glad he's past it. love you guys

Barb: said...

Poor guy! I would have been so freaked out--I'm glad that it wasn't too painful for him (except for the mouth, though, I'm sure that wasn't any fun).

What an optimistic post--Most things do have a silver lining, don't they? It helps me put things in perspective and remember that God does love us and we just have trials to grow and learn.