Sunday, October 11, 2009

blueberries, I love you

I know this isn't a food blog but I have to dedicate a post to blueberries because they are that good. Each time I have them in something I always think, "oh! this is so good, I love blueberries" like its a surprise or something. Over the summer, I bought them fresh whenever they were on sale, but the season is really short. Costco sells them frozen in a huge bag and we actually prefer them frozen for a lot of things. Here are our favorites (we usually make/eat any of these at least 3 times a week):
  • Blueberry Muffins, Pancakes, or Scones
  • Toppings for cereal (my favorite is with plain Bran Flakes or Granola... the frozen berries make the milk super cold, its so good)
  • Blueberries and yogurt (if you thaw the berries in the microwave real quick, there is a lot of liquid juice in the bowl that mixes in/flavors the plain yogurt really well)
  • Toppings for pancakes/German pancakes etc... (again the whole microwave thaw gives good juice)
  • Cup of milk with blueberries (and a dash of sugar if you need it extra sweet)... the milk gets slushy-esque when the frozen berries sit in it for a while.
  • Blueberry, can of pears, banana (optional), ice, vanilla ice cream-or-yogurt smoothie (really light and great accompaniment to cinnamon toast)

3 comments:

dixie said...

Mmmm. Makes my mouth water just reading about it. So good.

Aaron and Cera said...

Oh yum. We are huge fans of frozen blueberries! Such a nutritious, easy, yummy snack! We also love frozen raspberries and strawberries!

Radene said...

Yesterday I made some blueberry oat muffins, pumpkin blueberry muffins, and some pumpkin craisin muffins. All recipes from allrecipes.com They were YUMMY!