Friday, October 16, 2009

The truth comes out

It seems some of you are living in a slightly altered version of reality. I doubt I'm the "fun mom" some of you think I am. You can't believe how often I was told that I'd be such a fun mom. I was even expecting to be so. I'll be perfectly honest. Yes, sometimes I can be a fun babysitter or playschool teacher. I even will have a fun moment or two as a mother, but most of that really is just an instant while I try to get the kids engaged in something so I can finish up the dishes, check email or fold laundry.

It was actually pretty hard for me to deal with not being as fun of a mom as I'd always thought I'd be. I just don't have the energy to make those fun moments last longer than 2 minutes. Hopefully this will change. I'm trying to multi-task/work less so I can just play with my kids and enjoy them. I am working on it but I am far from there.

Least any of you think I'm looking for compliments let me say that this post is solely for being real. Truth is, I don't think I'm some super amazing ultra-fun mom. I have good days, I have bad days. I'm normal. (Well, except to you, Chris. You can go on believing that I'm the best thing in the world. I don't mind that altered reality.)

When it comes to parenting, the "fun" title goes to Chris. This dad is amazingly fun. He always (and I really mean ALWAYS) has time to repeat an action if there is a chance one of the boys will laugh at it again. He rarely tires from playing with the kids and just seems to eat up his time with them. Three cheers for Chris, the fun dad!

8 comments:

Megs said...

I still think you're way awesomer than me. The truth is, I think everybody else seems so much better than I am--so we all go around with that mentality. We moms are too hard on ourselves.

Megs said...

thank heavens for dads! good job chris!

Michelle said...

This post sounds like it could have been written by myself. I think in that mentality too. Being a mom is tough!! Thank goodness we have the gospel to get us through! And I agree with Megs, we are too hard on ourselves.

Yay for Chris being a fun dad!! I love dads that get involved with their children.

Amy said...

There are many things better than a "fun" mom. How about a loving mom? A sane mom? A dressed mom?

kelsey said...

Haha. I like Amy's "dressed" mom, which is more than I could say for myself today--pajama day.

I feel the same about being a fun mom. Well said.

dixie said...

It's always a team effort and you two are a great team! Don't be too hard on yourself!

Shelly Beth said...

Ditto to everyone's comments. I think all moms must feel like this at least some of the time. I know I feel like a bum mom alot and wish I could be more like supermom! But, if our kids are learning, growing, and happy, we must be doing something right!

Radene said...

I can empathize with you Britt. I know how you feel. This week has been a monumental one for us as far as parenting realizations...I'll write about it on our blog. Anyway I am glad you have Chris--a wonderful guy, spouse, and father. :) We love you too Britt! And your kids are so blessed to have you. I'm so grateful that you're my sister-in-law. Dreaming of the day we can live closer and can hang out. Love you guys.