Tuesday, November 17, 2009

wrong side of the bed

Pre-nap Alec was normal. Post-nap Alec was not. Oh goodness, I had to take so many deep breaths today and the fun still hasn't stopped. I guess I can be grateful that he at least took a nap? Where is the silver lining? While I'm at it...dinner is so difficult recently. Bed time is worse. I can either not care if he eats anything and then deal with complaints of no dessert or I can harp at him every minute. I can either give in to every little device to prolong the bedtime routine or I can deal with a screaming kid for hours. I don't see any happy mediums here. Ugh.. this isn't helping. I'll try to recap a cute story of how the morning started...

Alec has been waking up in the middle of the night (sometimes more than once!) and coming into our room, thinking its morning, and gets mad when we pick him up and put him back in his bed. But wait, this is supposed to be helping me calm down. * deep breath #87 * Ok. Alec eventually fell back asleep and slept in until 7:30! Charlie woke up before that and started making noise. I went in to get him out so Alec could keep sleeping and Charlie didn't want me to take him out of the crib. Instead, he kept pointing to his pacifier that had fallen out. So I gave him his pacifier, put my hands out and Charlie slinked away to lay back down. Confused, I sat in the rocking chair to see if this was going to be a peek-a-boo game and I eventually walked out of the room and returned to my bed. Later when Alec started moving around, so did Charlie. Apparently Charlie doesn't want to get up if Alec is still sleeping and as soon as Alec us up and out of the room, Charlie is chomping at the bit to join him. These two brothers are sure cute together.

sorry for no new pictures, I've not taken any recently.

6 comments:

Janelle said...

I don't know if this will help, but we have the same problem at mealtime. You either ruin it for yourself by sitting there and nagging them the whole time, or you ignore them and enjoy yours, knowing they won't eat anything. Hang in there. You can do it. One day at a time....

Emily Bateman said...

Brittney,

You are an awesome mom! You do so many fun things with Alec and Charlie, while Chris is so busy with everything else- GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK! :D

When I take time to catch up on blogs, I always read Sherrie Johnson's blog (she was my favorite BOM teacher Freshman year). Her insight and perspective is so down to earth and real.

http://sherriejohnson.blogspot.com/2009/11/weakness-or-strength.html

her most recent post was really encouraging to me :)

Amy said...

Some days are like that. I'm glad we start fresh every day.

Shelly Beth said...

Hm. It sounds like Isabelle and Alec are going through the same bedtime phase. Isabelle throws tantrums for both nap and bed. More so at naptime but she throws the biggest fit for naps every day and it makes me want to pull out my hair! So, if anything, I can relate! Some days are just so exhausting that it doesn't surprise me why some parents have a glass of wine every night - LOL - I look forward to my bowl of ice cream instead!

Ryan + Jess said...

I hate it when nap-time leaves the kids even GRUMPIER! Argh.

kelsey said...

I love the Charlie story. So cute. I keep thinking about putting my kids in the same room. I can see it being a wonderful solution to all bedtime struggles for them to be bedtime buddies, but I can also see Teresa getting tackled in her sleep. This story gives me hope that it could be sweet.

And as for the other struggles, oh I know. Sometimes Will eats a bite, literally just a bite, for dinner. I have this idea that I never want to engage in power struggles about food, or force my kids to eat, but I wonder if I should rethink this when he eats only a bite and calls it a meal. Can a preschooler survive on three bites of food a day? We'll see.