Wednesday, June 16, 2010

how to guarantee naps

To have time to organize before packing (we're moving practically next door next week), I've been encouraging Alec to take naps during his "Quiet Time" which has slowly evolved to a short (15 min) bit upstairs with books on my bed then coming down every 5-10 min checking the time and asking questions. I try to at least keep him upstairs until I finish my scripture study/journal time, but one day Alec asked if he could do scripture study with me downstairs. How do you say no to that? I couldn't, so I got out his scriptures and we sat side by side on the couch for a good 20 minutes or so before he quietly put his books aside and promptly fell asleep. Same thing happened the next day and the next. In fact, I've almost equated Alec's "scripture study" with "nap time." Not sure that is a habit I should keep fueling.

5 comments:

kelsey said...

Hey, that is what happens to me during scripture time!

Shelly Beth said...

Haha. Have to laugh at that one. Seems we all have that problem...

dixie said...

We knew he was advanced for his age!

Amy said...

My family has several photos of 'family scripture study' where one or more siblings is sleeping. I read once that Joseph Smith said that easily falling asleep is a sign of a clear conscience. I'm sure Alex falls into that category.

Libby said...

that's great! 20 min is like a feast for a 3 year old! just like you need a nap after a thanksgiving meal he needs one after feasting on the scriptures. it totally makes sense! infact i am going to try this with jack!