Friday, November 12, 2010

Closure

I could write another few paragraphs about my frustrations with the kids from just the past 24 hours. I'm sorry to say that again (I bet some people might be getting tired of reading it!) but here comes the good part. I was just reading this motivational talk and I'll post my favorite parts. This may be too boring/personal for some people and I'm actually not certain why I'm putting it on here since I already wrote it down in my journal. I guess I'm just looking for closure to many of the "I'm going crazy" posts so the story-like flow of the blog can move onto more "fun and happy" posts.

----
Its good advice to SLOW DOWN a little, steady the course, and focus on the essentials when experience adverse conditions. -- yes, I'm in adverse conditions.

Lets be honest; its rather easy to be busy....because they unnecessarily complicate their lives they often feel: INCREASED FRUSTRATION -- that is me, big time! -- diminished joy, and too little sense of meaning.

Forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best. --Its hard to decide what is a good thing and what is a better thing. It'll be hard to do but I'm sure others will agree that a perfectly clean house is a good thing; quality time with kids is better.

So What Are the Basics? We learn over and over again the importance of four key relationships: with our God, with our families, with our fellowman, and with ourselves.
----

I'm going to try and do one thing to focus on for each of those relationships.
  • Have more meaningful, heartfelt prayers at least morning and night.
  • Try to drop everything and just play with the kids for a hour or so each day (like from 10-noon or something)
  • Build friendships by having one-on-one time with other friends/families...like have someone over for dinner 2-3 times a month
  • "Take extra time to get to know myself better" I'm not exactly sure what this means or how to do it. If I had a hammock I'd schedule in some just-swing-and-think time...but I don't have a hammock, or an outdoor rocking chair, or a gorgeous view of the Puget Sound outside my front windows, like I did growing up.
And so with all that mushy stuff, I'll close my recent griping and move on to some fun stuff! By the way, I can't wait to see this again when I go home for Christmas in a month or so!

3 comments:

Heather said...

"Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know". That quote has helped encourage many positive steps forward...

Sounds like you are making great goals, dearest Britt <3

Dad & I have the greatest confidence that you & Chris know what is best for your family & will make great choices. LOVE YOU!!!!!

Janelle said...

I miss that view, too! I have yet to find one so full of solace and peace, and I need it! I agree with your idea of putting the kids ahead of the cleanliness. Today I spent more time playing with my son, and he didn't destroy anything. :) I think he was begging me for attention. Good luck with your new thoughts and approaches! Soak in that view for me!

Radene said...

Loved that talk too! Brittney, I am glad you write honestly because it's what I feel often too. Hang in there. Here's a big hug through the computer!

Love you!