Monday, November 8, 2010

A few of my thoughts today...

I either have 1 too many kids or 1 too few bedrooms. I think its the bedrooms.

I have 0 safe places. It doesn't matter where I put my kids or what I take away they can always find out how to make a mess or destroy something.

Anybody mind if I tie a kid or two to their bed?

What about spanking? Is it illegal to bring it back?

I can choose between watching/refereeing/protecting/distracting/disciplining the kids or getting even 1 thing accomplished, like the dishes or a meal. They can't both happen without kids crying, getting hurt, or destroying the house. Forget about doing a fun project like sewing or decorating or organizing those just make the chaos twice as bad.

I really don't want to eat leftovers tonight, it wasn't even that good the day I made it.

I shouldn't pay attention to any "sleep experts". Putting my kids down early for a nap because they seem extra tired since they woke up early just makes them play for 2 hours before falling asleep on the floor right behind the door. Now they'll actually be taking a late nap, which is bad for the early bedtime suggested. Oh, and whats that? Don't wake up a sleeping child?

I remember when someone asked me a month ago how 3 kids was and I said, "oh, not bad! Its going just fine actually." Well, what I meant was, "oh, TODAY was not bad, it went just fine... but ask me again in a month and I'll tell you how hard it is and how much I cry in a day"

I usually try to stay really positive, but I just can't do it today. And man, writing this negative post didn't make me feel any better, in fact it only opened the flood gates. So, next time Self, don't even write one, just stick with the positive ones... even if it feels like a lie at the time, at least it won't make you cry.

11 comments:

Ryan + Jess said...

Oh, Brittney!! I'm so sorry. In the beginning 3 kids was not a big deal...but now. Wow. You deserve a night of pampering and girl time. Tell Chris you are taking a break and go get a pedicure. Honestly, it will help :)

Sarah Jane said...

I appreciate this post more than you know! I only have one and I feel like there are days where I am so exhausted that I am ready to find a job just for a break! I cannot imagine what it is like with THREE little ones. Hang in there- I am sure this phase will pass- I mean, it has to eventually, right?!?

Megan said...

it might not have helped you to write this, but it helped me to read it. Motherhood is tough. It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not the only mom who referees fights all day and feels like she can never accomplish anything.

lets try and hang in there though? deal?

Janelle said...

Megan is right--it helps us all to read the truth. I think all mothers have a glorified vision of other mothers, and it's nice to know we're all struggling. Today when I had a [rare] motivated moment to clean up the basement, the boys kicked the soccer ball and knocked over a can of gasoline or diesel fuel (that belongs to our landlord), spilling it. Disaster and so smelly! So much for making progress on the eternal disorder. Hang in there! The good days come back eventually, although sporadically!

Stephanie said...

Let me know if you want me to take Alec one day this week. Berk would love to have him over to play

Libby said...

it is true. hearing that someone else is going through the same things. for a while i have tried to just stay super positive and not let anyone know i was going crazy. not only did that make me more crazy i really thought that i was not normal. finally i opened up and it has helped. so thank you!
i would like to say it gets easier but at least in my home that just is not the case. it seems to get harder! it is 6:50am and i am already ready to call it a day. i am just grateful my kids are so darn cute- it helps when they are destroying the house or fighting over something silly.
good luck today. may it be better than yesterday!

brittany said...

I am with Jess. You need some serious Brittney pampering time. Thom takes over for me every once in a while and I only have one kid. It is a wonder at how much an evening to do whatever the heck you want can do for you and your love for your husband and kidos.

Amy said...

I'm glad you're a real person, Brittney.

merilee said...

I wish I were closer!! It is not easy caring for kids. I think the magic number three can especially be overwhelming...but I remember having those days with only one or tow kids. It does get better and it is truly worth it. Just to let you know I think you are an awesome mom and I love you!!

kelsey said...

I like you. Sure would love to be sharing these thoughts with you on the playground.

Aaron, Cera and Jaylen said...

Brittney- you are awesome. I'm having a horrible time right now too- and I only have 1 with 1 on the way- so your post definitely made me feel like I'm not the only one struggling out there. Ugh, hopefully we'll move on from this funk soon! Wish we lived closer!