Saturday, November 20, 2010

Our Bed Saga

Once upon a time we ordered a bunk bed. Not just any old bunk bed. A super awesome, custom made, space saving, solidly built, GREAT price, toddler-sized bunk bed. We found it on Etsy.com, listed by a cute husband/wife furniture-making team. That was in January of 2010.

Then disaster struck this cute little team. Again, and again and again. We're talking shop fires, broken saws, broken vans, more broken vans, a move to living out a trailer with their 3(?) kids while they build a house in their spare time.

At least that is what they told us every time I wrote them a "hows it coming?" email. I updated them on our two moves, and Gwendolyn's arrival... hoping these milestones would give them a finish date to shoot for. Nope.

Then in August, I get an email from them out of the blue saying, "We're putting your bed together this week! We just need to confirm the color of the stain and allow a week to cure and then a week to ship."

As you can image, we were ecstatic. Charlie is just too big/strong/rough in the crib; he's just tearing it apart and climbing out, climbing up, climbing all over it like a jungle gym. He is SO ready to move to a big bed, and I'm SO ready to get Gwen out of the bassinet in our room to the crib in the kids room. We've been putting on hold making any new bedtime routine changes (and boy, do we need to!) until we get the bunk beds but we've been saying this for over 6 months! I could go on and on.

Now its the middle of November and we still haven't gotten the bed. I'm emailing them more often (once or twice a week) and finding out about more "disasters" like that crazy mid-east wind storm sweeping away their paint shop. The good news is they emailed us a picture of our stained headboards. So, I'm fairly confident we're not getting swindled (yes, we already paid for it). I like to support small family businesses, but this is getting ridiculous.

Hopefully in a week or two, I'll be doing another post of our totally awesome bunk beds all set up in the kids' room with a report on how wonderful our new bedtime routine is working and how Gwen sleeps through the whole night! AND, (while I'm dreaming) that Chris' adviser told him he could graduate in December without doing any more work and BYU offered us a job starting in the fall after we take a 3 month family vacation in Hawaii. Oh, and did I mention BYU's starting salary? $200,000 ... every 2 weeks.

4 comments:

Amy said...

You are living a never-ending story. I really really hope your bunkbed arrives next week.

Heather said...

love the way you tell a story!!
Hope it has the happy ending that you surely deserve :)

Ryan + Jess said...

I was hoping that the ending to this blog was, "and the bunk beds arrived TODAY". Well, it does give us all something to look forward to! As well as the other things you are dreaming about. (dixie)

brittany said...

Oh my gosh! I was just asking thomas the other day if he had heard anything about yall receiving the beds yet. I am so sorry. You and the beds are in our prayers