Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving and a hike

We had a yummy feast with our good friends and neighbors. We were particularly trying to make enough for leftovers for both families. In short, we made enough for 5 families to have leftovers too. We hardly even dented the mashed potatoes and had rolls coming out of our ears. No, these aren't complaints. I LOVE that we had so much food leftover, my stomach has been loving it all this past week. The only thing that made me sad was that with all the preparations for this 1 meal, it was all over in 10 minutes. But fun things always go by too fast. We had a few more families over for pie after dinner.


For Black Friday we went on this really awesome hike, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge at Mt. Tamalpais. We hiked 4.2 miles from the ranger station to Stinson Beach. It was BEAUTIFUL! My friend, Amy recommended it and I can see why she says it "has it all." We walked past lots of waterfalls, crossed lots of bridges, climbed over/under lots of huge redwoods and then walked through rolling/tree-less hills down to 6 foot high beach scrub and finally arrived at the sandy beach.

Eating leftover turkey sandwiches!


We left later than we planned and took longer to find parking and meet up with friends. We missed the first bus/shuttle back to our cars and ended up stranded at the beach in the dark with no way to get back to our cars. I guess the buses were running on their "Holiday Schedule" even though online they said it was normal. We did catch a bus, going the wrong way an hour after we thought we could and rode it all the way around to get to our cars; crossing our fingers the whole way that the parking lot, posted as "closed at sunset," didn't lock in any cars still there after dark.

What a crazy sight we were: 2 moms, 6 little kids sitting by the highway, alone on a bench in the middle of the freezing mountains after dark. I'm actually surprised no one stopped to see if we needed any help, I know I would've if I were driving past.

Luckily, the dads ran super fast from where the bus dropped us off to the parking lot 1/2 mile up and found our cars ticketed $48.50 but not locked in! Whew! 2.5 hours later the kids were asleep in bed and I was warm and cozy eating left over pie on the couch. Talk about thanks-giving. We were so grateful to have it all end so well.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so glad you liked the hike! I got a little nervous there with your bus troubles, so I'm glad it ended well.

Heather said...

What an amazing Thanksgiving...certainly memorable!!
LOVED the pictures, thanks <3

brooke said...

These pictures make me miss you all! And what a yummy looking feast! You are all amazing cooks, so I can imagine how good it was. Hope life is good in the village. Lots of love!

brittany said...

What an adventure!

We missed having yall with us for Thanksgiving, but glad yours turned out so well.