Friday, May 13, 2011

Thesis Defense

Chris had his Oral Examination and Thesis Presentation yesterday! He passed! Thanks to the babysitting help of my friends, I was able to go and listen to him. He was sooo great. He looked so prepared and you could tell the flow of the presentation was well thought out. It was story-like which made it easy to follow...although many of the slides were full of numbers, signs or graphs that was completely above my head. He handled the questions during his presentation without hesitation, and used non-research related examples to clarify points that was really helpful. He had the timing down perfectly and never seemed either rushed or long winded. It really was quite superb. It is tradition in his department to provide refreshments for the people attending your defense so I had made some lemon-poppyseed bread and had fruit, juice and bagels. To the amazed (disappointment?) of some, we didn't provide coffee, and I was actually a bit nervous that the lack of it would reflect badly on Chris, but it doesn't matter now. Its over, and he passed! (the blobs are supposed to be balloons but Chris came home in the middle of decorating and we just stopped)

I had a baby shower the night before and I came home to find him sitting on the couch testing out the suit he thought he might wear, typing out cues to reference during each slide. so cute. (although he didn't really appreciate me taking this picture... I just couldn't resist.)

Quite selfishly, my favorite part was the last slide where he had this picture of our family and he said how much he appreciated and loved us. Although he didn't tear up, his voice was full of emotion. I love to hear him talk about us! I also loved the surprised comments in the room from the people who didn't know he had 3 kids! "you did that (thesis) AND all this (kids) at the same time?" And comments to me after, "You need a congratulations too! 3 kids in 3 years?" Actually its 3 kids in 4.5 years, but pretty close.

11 comments:

Janelle said...

Congratulations to your whole family! Such an accomplishment. I'm glad it went well. (And I love that family picture--so cute!)

Amy said...

Woo hoo! That's so great.

L&M betterfam said...

Way to go!!!!

Jess said...

Cheers all around! What a great accomplishment!! Celebrations ensue!

merilee said...

Congrats! That is awesome. I love the picture of your family...you are all adorable!

Michelle said...

Congrats!! I hope you had a fun party. :) That is a beautiful family picture! :) Now I can't remember, do you already know where you are going next?

Ryan + Jess said...

congratulations! you did it!

That family picture is beautiful!

mmbateman said...

THis is wonderful Brittney! Thanks for sharing. And I love the picture of your family...BEAUTIFUL!

brittany said...

Way to go Chris! We are so excited for you. Also, that is such a cute family picture. Love it!

Heather said...

What a great example that you can be a family man & family mom and still accomplish great things in society... Love & hugs to our well deserving Britt & Chris <3

kelsey said...

I love your family photo!

Congratulations.