Thursday, August 18, 2011

Another Challenge

The day before we left UT for Canada, I got a phone call from Chris' doctor about the results of the biopsy/surgery they did last week. Turns out, Chris has cancer. Specifically Hodgkin Lymphoma, nodular sclerosis. To say the least, we feel crushed. I feel about 50 lbs heavier (I think at least a tenth of that is quite literal thanks to all the vacation food etc).

Its been rough, but we're thankfully moving beyond our first impressions: numb shock and wary sadness. I felt the latter only lightly because I knew that's what we're supposed to feel. Actual sadness has come little by little as it slowly starts to affect our lives.

I actually don't feel like rehashing all my emotions out now, but I'll back post a blurb I wrote but didn't post the day of the surgery since I couldn't find my journal in whatever box it got placed.

Currently, we're in Edmonton! We got in last night and already we've viewed 2 places to live (1 of which will hopefully work out) gotten a Social Insurance Number for Chris and his University of Alberta ID, and a Canadian Bank account. We've just got to settle out a place to live so we can get an address so we can apply for insurance so we can get a family doctor so we can get a referral for an Oncologist so Chris can be seen and obtain an order for a whole body CT scan so we can find out what stage his cancer is in so we can map out a chemo therapy treatment plan so we can beat this. Let me repeat, SO WE CAN BEAT THIS. Hear that Mr. Golf-Ball-Sized-Lump in Chris' neck? We're going to win, so you may as well stop trying to wreck our lives.

13 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

I am so incredibly sorry to hear such awful news Brittney. I am sure cancer is no match for your family, but your husband, and your family, will be in my thoughts and prayers (just for a little extra fighting power).

Nikki CB said...

I am so very sorry to hear this. I love you and your family so dearly. We will be praying for you and Chris and your wonderful kids daily. You are amazing, and the Archibalds are strong through the power of Christ, as you have testified and shared with me and so many others. Mostly, I'm just so sorry, and I know that I don't have any real words that can approach the experience you guys are going through now. But please know that despite lacking the right words that we just adore you guys, and will have you in our prayers.

Michelle said...

Oh Brittney. I am so sorry to hear this. I am so grateful that you have the gospel in your life and can feel the peace of the Savior in this hard time. We are all praying for you guys and know that you will be able to fight this! You are in our prayers.

Stephanie said...

Brittney,
I am so sorry to hear about Chris. I know I am now far away -- but if there is anything you need me to do just let me know. I will be praying for Chris and your family

Joell Archibald said...

Chris and Brittney,
The love and prayers of all of this side of the Archibald family are with you. Chris is young and strong...points in his favor. Please keep us all in the loop via your blog. Love you guys!

Vhari said...

Chris and Brittany,

I was so sad to hear the news of Chris' surgery and struggles you guys have been having. I'm sure you are both going through so many emotions and are completely exhausted from everything. I wish I were close, but I will be praying for you and Chris and thinking about you and Chris daily. I know that you have plenty of people to talk to, but I'm here if you ever need someone. I'll keep checking up on you guys. Love you.

Amy said...

We're praying for you, too!

nicole said...

Sending our prayers and hugs! Love you guys.

Katie B. said...

Brittney,

I was sad to hear this, too, but right away I emailed my Dad and asked him how bad this kind of cancer is. He's an oncologist at Primary Children's and the U of U hospital (and a darn good one, if I may say so myself). He said, and I quote, "if you have to have cancer, this is one of the cancers you should get. For most patients cure rates exceed 90% with only mild/moderate chemo. If they relapse, I then transplant them and cure most of them." Anyway, that sounds very promising. I'm sure my Dad would be happy to talk with you if you need some advice. Just let me know.

Love and prayers!

Katie and Jeff

Brett and Linnae said...

You and your sweet family are in our prayers!! Sending you love and happy thoughts from all the way out here in Louisiana!

archibald.josh said...

We love you guys and you are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

Libby said...

I am so incredibly sorry to hear about Chris. Like moving to another country isn't hard enough! I have been praying for you guys and will continue. You are an amazing woman! Love you!!

lanaface said...

My dad had lymphoma but his tumors were grape fruit sized and he was in his late 50's. What your friend Katie B. said was right, its the best kind of cancer to have. Chris is going to beat this, he's young, you've caught it in its track and you have each other plus the love of your friends and family!