Tuesday, December 27, 2011

One Sweet Christmas

For an entire week we have been eating yummy food until our stomach's are stuffed and then going back for seconds. M&Ms, Steak, Clam Chowder, Challah bread, Cinnamon Rolls, Turkey Dinner with all the works: amazing stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy and homemade rolls, Raspberry Trifel with GG's raspberries, GG's peaches and cream, Delicious Eggnog, Oatmeal Cake, Sunshine Pancakes, Sugar Cookies, Overnight Challah Bread French Toast and homemade Baklava.

And I'm pretty sure I'm missing some things.

This Christmas was sweet in another big way: we're lucky enough to have Chris' parents here and Chris' brother and his family. Just today, while Chris was getting his Chemo treatment, we talked about how having them here has really helped us forget about Chris' illness and made life feel almost normal, like old times. What a blessing that little Christmas break from our current troubles and stress has been.

We opened matching pj's on Christmas Eve, and I tried to orchestrate family traditions like reading and acting out the Nativity and taking cousin photos by lining up tallest to shortest and doing a pyramid. Both were utter failures. I don't think I realized how crucial older kids are to keeping Christmas Traditions alive. These little tykes basically ran around like crazy people throughout the entire evening. They were so excited.


Christmas Morning, I get woken up by Alec at 2:30 am.

"Mom! Santa came! My stocking has stuff in it and there's a kitchen!"

Doesn't he know he's supposed to wait? I not only think that to my self, I also whisper it to him as I tuck him back in bed. I guess he didn't understand me because Chris and I were turning in bed waiting to hear noises from the kids that they are waking up when Alec and Charlie suddenly burst into the room, holding their stockings...

"Mom! Dad! Santa really did come! I see a kitchen and my stocking has toys in it, see?!"

Gwen really enjoyed her Christmas morning. Her eyes got so big when she saw the Kitchen set and ran right over and started playing with it. She also loved her doll stroller and pushed it around the house. In fact, she was quite content with some of the things she was given she even left a stack of presents unopened.


Chris and I gave the kids a big huge, bean bag we made for them. We cut up lots of free scrap foam we got from a local store across 5 nights. It was SO MUCH cutting. And I actually think we might need a bit more. :) It was more work than I anticipated, but the kids love it, I'm glad we finished it. We finished opening presents by 9:30 and then ate the yummy Challah Bread French Toast casserole and played until it was time to get ready for Church at 1:00. It was only an hour long Sacrament Meeting. Throughout the morning my kids (and myself a bit b/c of their behavior) were a bit ornery and Alec even refused to sing with the Primary children. Oh well.

Our last sweet Christmas experience was getting to talk to Chris' brother, Edward, on his mission in Mexico. He has such an accent and didn't seem to understand some of the English words we used! He's had native companions for his last couple of transfers and his Spanish sounds downright awesome. He's so positive and happy and mature-sounding. It was really great to hear from him. We're lucky to read his emails once a week.

And now back to the normal 'my-husband-has-cancer' grind. Well, not quite. Thom and Brittany are still here for the whole week! They've already been great and helped out a ton with meals, laundry, cleaning and babysitting. I hope they still feel like they're on vacation. Lets see how much fun we can have while they're here.

8 comments:

Joell Archibald said...

So great that you could all be together for Christmas and have such a good time! We are praying for you and Chris with his diagnosis and treatment.

Katie B. said...

Your haircut is so cute!

Janelle said...

I love the matching PJs! And such a cute family picture all dressed up. I'm impressed they're all looking! Your hair is SO cute.

Amy said...

I think your haircut is really cute, too!

Brady Quist said...

Thank you for posting so religiously. I love reading your posts and miss you so much! I love your haircut and want you to know you and your family are in our prayers daily.

Brady Quist said...

Oops, this is Natania...forgot I was signed in as Brady. :)

lanaface said...

Wow, 2:30 in the morning. Sorry. But I'm glad that kids were so happy about Santa's presents.
What great Christmas pictures! I know what you mean about the traditions, its hard with the little ones. I barley got a picture in on Christmas when they were opening pressnts too. Next year Jake and I will have to do some better planning to get better pics.

Brittney, this is the first I've seen your hair, its really cute. I don't ever remember you haveing chorter hair than that.

Radene said...

Brittney, you look amazing. Love the hair cut. Such great family time at Christmas. So happy for you! Love you tons.