Sunday, April 8, 2012

snow day

We got the most snow fall yet this year a few days ago. It wasn't snowing when we went to bed at midnight, it wasn't even cloudy and when we woke up we found this:

It was perfect snowman snow, wet and heavy. So the kids and I built snowmen for the first time. They each wanted their own to decorate so I was quick about it and didn't focus on quality too much, which meant they all three fell down within 2 days - Charlie's didn't last an hour!

They used carrots, celery, graham crackers, sticks, pine cones, berries and snow hats for the accessories. It was really fun.

I think one of the things I liked most about that experience was that it happened at 4:30pm. Usually, I'm distracted with dinner prep and the kids just go crazy cranky and I dread that time of day. But on this day, we were having Chris' boss and his family over for dinner and since Chris would be at a late meeting with his boss until 5:45 leaving me to do dinner by myself we decided on a menu that I could prep slowly over a few days. I don't mean to brag but this meal turned out EXACTLY as I'd dreamed (that doesn't happen very often!) The pulled pork just shredded beautiful and was mild but yummy. The home made BBQ sauce was dark, thick, tangy and slightly spicy. The home made rolls (they call them buns here) were stiff and slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and airy on the inside. The home made mac n' cheese was gourmet seeming and the homemade baked beans turned out just like Chris' grandma's makes them. The oatmeal cake was pretty good too. And Shayna, Mike's wife, brought a fruit salad with all my favorite fruit. I was in heaven for almost 20 hours because of this meal... just ask my running buddies!

2 comments:

MandaMommy said...

The meal sounds awesome! I'm glad it worked out so well! You guys are amazing, as always, with inviting people over. It stresses me out too much and these days, I avoid it altogether. You're awesome.

lanaface said...

Gwen is so cute giving her snowman a kiss! Did any fury friends come and eat the accessories?

Love days that work so well!! Glad you had one :)