Wednesday, October 17, 2012

burnt fingertips

Today we experienced one of the worst hurts to befall our family. Ok, now that I write that I realize that Chris' cancer last year totally beats out Alec's fingertips, but strictly speaking of the children, we had a doozy today.  Alec was at piano lessons and thought the fireplace on the wall was a pretend one, since he found out it could be turned on with a switch. So of course, he turned it on.  His good friend quickly turned it off but then they both went up to the glass to study such an awesome thing and burned their fingertips. All five fingers on his left hand immediately blistered up and he ran to the bathroom (for some privacy?) while his friend grabbed his mom.  She tenderly helped him, called me and took care of him for me until Alec was dropped off at our house 20 minutes later.  My friend told me Alec was brave and quietly crying while at their house and as I saw the car pull up in front I could see Alec anxiously looking for me through the window. I was waiting for him, ran out to meet him and he could finally let it all out. He proceeded to scream and thrash and kick for the rest of the evening. Poor kid, burns hurt.  Chris came home a bit later and helped attend to Alec so I could get dinner on the table, but Alec was hurting too much to focus on anything else and we had to just send him up to his room.  Chris, of course, never seemed frustrated with him and patiently stayed next to him until he had to go to Young Mens and had to leave with Gwen screaming (no nap) at the table because she felt abandoned at the otherwise empty table.

But the cupcakes another friend (the one who was driving him home) dropped off for Alec helped distract everyone at the right moments so we all were making it OK when I got a call and then a knock....my Visiting Teachers were supposed to be coming over. I had forgotten. Turns out they stayed to clean up my kitchen, clear the table, sweep the floor and wipe the counters so I could comfort Alec some more. He didn't want to be left alone in his room. I put Aloe Vera on his fingers, turned a fan on to blow at them, and read a Young Picture Book Reader version of Gulliver's Travels to him and Charlie while they fell asleep.  WHEW....

What a night. And its awesome how well it all was handled and how nice people were to us. I can definitely see God's tender mercies tonight.  I hope Alec can sleep well and that he's feeling up to go to his super cool, "best-field-trip-of-the-year" tomorrow to Safety City. Luckily, I'm supposed to chaperone so I can be there with him.

3 comments:

dixie said...

So sorry to hear this! Burns do hurt. and keep on hurting for a long time. Hope he sleeps ok and feels better tomorrow. love you all.

Amy said...

Poor Alec. But what great visiting teachers! I'm glad they could take care of you, since I was too far away to be useful.

brittany said...

poor Kiddo! So glad he is feeling better now.