Sunday, November 10, 2013

A week apart

Last Sunday, Brittany and I said goodbye to Chris and his mom and drove the kids back down to Mississippi. I have been fairly weepy recently and so of course, started crying as we parted ways in the church parking lot after a Sacrament Meeting in Nashville. To be honest, I was not looking forward to this week, despite having such excellent company in my sister-in-law and her adorable baby girl.  I knew it was going to be tough, long and tiring. And so it was. I cried a lot...about small things and big things...and for some reason the kids chose that week to be particularly contrary.  But we also had fun moments playing with Jane darling, chatting it up with Brittany, and feeling the joy of having two women in the home to get double the stuff done. 


The kids LOOOOOOVED to hold Jane and play with her. It made me so excited to think of them being equally fascinated and helpful with their own baby brother coming soon.  They were all really great with her but Alec in particular impressed me with his loving attention. 

Brittany helped me stay sane, mostly positive, and organized...writing down lists and keeping track of all the things I needed to do to get ready to send the kids to UT for 3 weeks, close up the house there in MS and get stuff packed for my stay with Chris in Nashville.  She helped me go through the kids clothes and then helped me shop for the things they needed. She found/sorted/folded/organized all my baby clothes so I can have the little boy sizes ready for the baby when he comes. She killed bugs, did dishes and laundry, made meals, read stories, babysat, and provided good company, conversation, advice and a shoulder to cry on. Literally. One time I was in my room upstairs putting away clothes and THE BIGGEST WASP I EVER SAW slowly crawled across the floor a few feet from my feet. (BTW... I very much am afraid of bees and wasps etc). I can't remember if this was just after or before we found a HUGE cockroach climbing up out of the kitchen sink drain.  Whatever, it doesn't matter. Anyway, I was also on the phone with Chris when I saw the wasp and I stood paralyzed for a moment not sure if I should try and smash it with a shoe, or cover it with a cup.  I ended up deciding on smashing it but missed my first try and screaming scared, just wildly pounded away at the floor until I got him. I hung up on Chris and just started sobbing and shaking uncontrollably. Brittany walked in, rubbed my back and told me it was going to be ok.  I wasn't even sure why I was crying, it wasn't that big of a deal. I don't like bugs in my house and they come in this house ALLLLLLLLLL the time. 

Anyway. Point is, we survived. Friday came and we were so on top of things the car was packed and the house was cleaned by 8:30 am. I had a doctors appointment (another embarrassing moment of crying in front of doctors, nurses and strangers as my doctor got called away to surgery without having seen me after I'd been waiting for over an hour) and we were finally on the road by noon. The kids did AMAZING in the car. Like really amazing. Here is a picture I took and sent to Chris at potty and feed-the-baby stop. 


Then we met up with Chris and Dixie in Nashville.  They had picked up some chinese food and we had a fun Friday night movie night watching "Kung Fu Panda" all together.  It was very fun to hear the kids (Charlie and Alec especially) laughing with their whole bodies...like deep belly laughing. I love that. 

Then Chris took his turn putting the kids to bed, helping with jammies and teeth-brushing.  After that we gave them some bracelets that Chris and Dixie had made to help them remember us.  Chris gave them each a father's blessing since they would be leaving in the morning, and then they were off to bed. 

Later that night Chris and Dixie picked up James from the airport.  We had a fun evening chatting and catching up, and then went to bed.  In the morning we got the car packed and said goodbye to James and Dixie and the kids as they headed out on the 2-day drive to Utah.  Then Chris and I took Brittany and Jane to the airport and then we found ourselves suddenly on our own.  We hardly knew what to do with the rest of the day! I hadn't thought that far ahead.  After so many weeks of busy mommy-ing and preparing I had a completely open day, alone with Chris.  We went out to breakfast, came home, had a bath, took a nap, ate lunch, watched football, went shopping, went to dinner and then watched a redbox movie.  Apparently Chris had decided to pamper me as much as he could this weekend. His tender care of me is usually one of my favorite things about being pregnant, but he hasn't really been able to do it much this time. All day yesterday and today he's really focused on taking good care of me. He's so wonderful and I've just been eating up his attention. 

Today we had another relaxing morning, went to church, had a nap, and then went for a walk tonight. I've so enjoyed the last 36 hours with Chris feeling so well and being so attentive.  Almost like a honeymoon or anniversary trip, except that we have chemo coming and I am 7 months pregnant.  But we are sure enjoying it.  This next week is when more hard stuff starts: 5 straight days of super intense chemo, followed by Chris feeling like death and probably needing to be hospitalized at some point.  But like my dad said tonight, we're just chipping away at this whole thing one chunk at a time. 

6 comments:

MandaMommy said...

We love you guys! I'm glad Chris was able to devote some good attention to you! I bet you'e feeling so tired and achey. You're doing great...getting so close (both of you!).

Amy said...

Keep chipping away! Love you!

Radene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Radene said...

Blogger Radene said...
Brittney, You're doing great. It was so wonderful to see that smile on your face last night. We miss and love you. I teared up as I read about Chris giving the kids blessings. What a tender time. Enjoy your time together and we'll keep praying for a successful recovery. HUGS!

Mary said...

Brittney, You a just a gem and so deserving of many blessings from above. You and Chris are in our thought and prayers and may you have peace and comfort daily. I was just thinking about the day I saw your very pregnant self with Chris in Safeway the day before Thanksgiving many years ago (soon after you had come to Stanford). And how happy I was that you accepted my invitation (me being a perfect stranger to you) to come for Thanksgiving dinner and shared that special day with us. As this Thanksgiving approaches, please know you and Chris will be upper most in our hearts and minds as you face the challenges ahead. I love you both dearly!

Audra Gines said...

Hang in there girl, you can do this, just one day at a time! So many are praying for you, and are cheering for your family! Take cheer from the little things, and hopefully it will all be over quicker than you think!