Monday, December 30, 2013

More hospital time for us both!


So Chris is in the hospital again. His temperature hovers around 99 before spiking up to 102, 103 or 101 every 4-6 hours. All his blood and urine cultures have come back clean. They at first thought he might have had a UTI or something but none of the antibiotics they've been giving to him are working. It'll be 5 days tomorrow. His longest hospital stay ever. And I'm not right there with him. It's hard. 

Blessedly, Chris' mom, Dixie, had bought tickets to fly out and help with Frederick. She arrived Chris' first night in the hospital. Perfect timing. Some friends from our branch picked her up at the airport and more friends watched our kids so I Frederick and I could stay with Chris for some of the day. Then the sister missionaries came over to clean my house: Christmas, a birthday, a 1 week old baby and a recovering mama and papa makes for a pretty messy house. 

The first night we thought Chris would just sleep through it, get better and be coming home the next day so both Dixie and I slept at home. That night ended up being terrible for Chris and his temperature continues to puzzle the doctors. They even have been contacting our Vanderbilt doctors for recommendations on Chris' treatment but nothing is really working. 

We've sort of settled into a routine now. Dixie stays the night with Chris. I go with Frederick sometime in the morning and stay most of the day while Dixie comes home to play with our other kids. Then we switch. I come home and put the kids to bed and she goes to help Chris through the night. 


The doctors said Chris has to be fever free for over 24 hours before they can release him...and that has to be drug free too. (He's pretty much been on Tylenol and Motrin around the clock to bring his temperature down but it also masks the fevers... So looks like he'll still be in the hospital for at least another 2 days seeing how when I left him tonight he had a temp of 102, again. 

Also I took a trip to the ER today. I woke up this morning with part if my back aching a bit and then during the mid morning I had some cramping pain on my left side of my lower abdomin. By the time I got to the hospital with Chris it was hurting enough to want to lay down in his bed and comment to Chris about it. 2 hours later it got SUPER intense and I started feeling nauseas. This, unfortunately, was about the time that the nurses were trying to put a new IV in Chris since his ordinal one stopped working. They tried /poked him 5 times!  I was standing by his bed, holding his hand while he squoze mine through the pain. When the nurses left the room to give him a minute to rest before trying again I collasped. I told Chris I didn't feel well, grabbed a bucket and went to his little bathroom. Hearing me moan and cry and throw up a bunch he frantically got out of his bed, dragging his IV pole and tried to help me somehow. I didn't know why I was throwing up and in case I was contagious I didn't want to spread my germs to him so I sorta made him keep his distance. 

He makes me a place to lay down on the couch in his room and Dixie and the kids walk in to visit Chris. Perfect timing. Dixie ends up helping me and Frederick (who is due for another feeding) and Gwen walk down the drive over to the Emergency Room. 

Before they even take me back, I throw up again in the ER waiting room and my pain stops. 

Anyway...a catheter urine sample and a CT scan later...turns out I passed a kidney stone.  

I always day dreamed (not in the happy kind of way) about Chris and I being joint patients in a hospital, but I thought it would be while I had a baby and he was still being treated for his stem cell transplant. I never would've thought it would happen post baby and post transplant. 

CRAZY. I don't know how much more either of us can take. 


3 comments:

Brian said...

Oh Brittney, we are so sorry for what you are going through. This refiner's fire is neither kind nor fair. Would you please email me your address? We want to send something for you, for Chris and for the kids.

Brian Woodward
briankw77@gmail.com

Heather said...

This has been such an incredibly brutal time for you both! Please hang on to hope…

Maybe these favorite words will bring some small measure of comfort:

"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'reflow,
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress."

Mallory Lindstrom said...

Brittney,
I have been reading for a little while now and you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Your strength is so admirable. I can't imagine all that you are going through. I hope things get better soon!! Love and prayers to you and your family! Love, Chad and Mallory Lindstrom