Monday, March 3, 2014

First race!

Chick-fil-a put on a little race in Starkville. There was a 10k, a 5k and a 1 mile. I've been trying to get back in shape after having Frederick but it's been a long road and I've got sooooo far to go still.  You'd think my overweight body would be enough motivation but I'm finding it hard to get the energy and motivation to exercise and stop eating treats.  Anyway, I've digressed...I'm blogging about Charlie and Alec's first race!  Those two hoodlums and I signed up for the 1 mile. The day before I had a fever and major aches I didn't make it out to pick up our race packets and in the morning I still wasn't sure if I could run it and not knowing how the course would be laid out I wasn't comfortable sending the boys by themselves (Chris still is recovering and couldn't run it in my stead)   


We all get dressed and I decide I can probably make it for just 1 little mile and we head out to the race. It's such a small town/affair we find a parking spot within 50 feet of the starting/finish line. BUT packet pick up had closed already! Thankfully one of the workers thought they could print off some bibs for us but told us they were all out of shirts. Which is pretty sad since they looked really cool and the boys would've loved them...ok I would've loved one! 

The boys and I had "trained" for this and ran a mile the Saturday before so I don't think either of them were nervous as we lined up at the starting line. The boys took off like rockets and competitive Alec ran along with some other kids way up ahead and Charlie trotted in a perfect running gait 20 feet ahead of me the whole time.  Such cute kids, I'm so proud of them. 


1 comment:

dixie said...

What a fun thing to do together. So sorry that you weren't feeling well, but congrats for doing it and finishing!!! Hang in there.