Monday, April 28, 2014


We had a little scare on Monday, April 28 with tornados. The school sent out an email with a storm warning and asked us to keep an eye on our inboxes as they'll let us know if they will release the students early.  I had been planning on driving out to a neighboring town, Eupora, to visit a friend's store but the 30 min one way commute made me second guess and call Chris to double check. The storm wasn't set to hit us hard until 4:00pm so we agreed that if I could go and get back by 2:30 or so, I'd be safe. So we went and I enjoyed seeing more new places in our new state. The sky was starting to look ominous as I headed back and my mom called to see if I had heard about the weather and if I was OK. I got to Alec's school a bit early and good thing too, because they did release the kids early with hardly any warning. I was in constant contact with Chris, through texting and he was planning on meeting us at home right away. The campus shut down early for the storm but the traffic getting out of campus was sooooo bad that Chris ended up parking his car in a random staff parking lot and walking home. 

We were all together by 3:00pm and turned on the local news to track the storm. So far, our county wasn't impacted yet, but they were showing footage and pictures from Tupelo (about an hour north) where a Tornado had come through and caused a bunch of damage. We had just been in Tupelo the previous two days for our Stake Conference so it was weird` to think we were just there. (Actually our drive up to Sunday morning's session of Stake Conference was the WORST rain/thunder storm I remember ever being in..crazy weather)

We had previously  planned on where our "safe place" would be in our home and started making preparations to camp out in it.  Its the craft/game closet in our dining room. Its on the lowest level, with no windows or outside walls...and its not very big. Also the doors would easily pop off the track with the slightest pressure. We had to take out some bins and things to make room for all the pillows and blankets. I made a quick dinner and we ate it with the news blasting in the next room. Europa had a tornado touch down near by, but its trajectory was just north of Starkville...then another one touched down in Lousiville, 20 min south of Starkville..but again its trajectory just missed us. Our County did get a Tornado Warning and we hid in the closet for about 45 min. I peeked outside before we went in and saw some debris flying high in the sky above our house. In the closet, it got HOT and stuffy and crampy, and trying to bounce Frederick with zero room to take a step was not fun. In the middle of it, we peeked out the doors and could see a BLACK sky and heard somethings hit our house with a couple loud pings and thwaks. After a while I couldn't take being in there any longer and broke out. Happily we heard the weather guy say that Starkville was in the clear. 

Our branch was asked to help with Tornado clean up in Tupelo the following Saturday and Chris went to help. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

So very very grateful for your safety!!!!! You've had enough "whirlwinds" to last a lifetime if you ask me.