Friday, March 27, 2015

Getting into the details

The renovation continues to move along. If I allow myself to complain I can get really tired of all the mud, the dirt, the chaos, and smoke tracked into the house with workers, never knowing if a worker will walk through the door at any time, always having to remember to wear clothes around the house, parking at the top of the long driveway so workers and deliveries can get close, the constant hum of air compressors, nail guns and hammers, having our three older children share 1 bedroom that also doubles as linen closet, Freddy's closet and storage room. But when I look past that and think about how spacious our house will be when its all finished I feel bad for being annoyed and realize how lucky we are to be able to renovate and own such a wonderful home. 

Here are two pictures of the kids bedroom right now.  They've actually done really good about sharing a room. The only hard time is bedtime or clean up time when they just get so distracted teasing, hitting, or playing with each other. Also it's rough in the morning. When one gets up, they all get up whether it be 5:15 or 7:00. 




The workers have all been really nice and I've mostly enjoyed interacting with all of them (the cement crew was sort of intimidating and one of the electricians doesn't have the most pleasing manners). I try to get to know all their names but mostly I can just remember the current ones: Jonathan, Chris, Morgan, Ross, Shane, Austin. This week they have mudded (is that a word?) the drywall, textured the ceiling, and started putting up the exterior. We're having to make more decisions like type of cabinets and tile in the bathroom, type of style for the exterior, type of texture on the ceilings, where exactly to have the doors open, what kind of style for the built-in storage spaces, flooring for the laundry/mud room etc. I'm super glad for our contractor Joe for organizing everything, helping me stay in budget and narrowing down the options for me. He's very easy to talk to and always seem so calm and unruffled no matter how many crazy ideas I give him. I'm also super glad to have someone else being the boss of the workers, and just one guy to go to with all of the problems that come up: some electrical circuits not working, flooding by the septic tank outback, crooked doors, wrongly-followed plans, cracked floors, leaky roofs etc. 


What we are currently trying to figure out is the exterior style and paint. We're limited with the simplicity and total brick-ness of the current building and trying to pick styles and colors that will work with it...(keeping in mind that we can't find a perfect match for the brick...the original brick yard is no longer in service). Its hard for the new structure to not feel completely out of place. The Tudor style seems to work well with lots of brick and I like how that style looks, it makes me think of Europe and I feel it seems really classic, never-out-of-date to me. But Chris, thinks the white stucco look with the dark brown batons looks cheap, run-down and 70's. We're trying to explore some reverse-tudor options where the batons are lighter than the background. This is really hard to figure out! anyone able to help?? ideas??


Eventually we'll be able to add some more interest and bring the Tudor style to the left side of the house when we change the front door and add a porch. I think that will balance out the new structure we've added on the right side. 

The view from the Front of the house, which is actually the side, but again when we move the front door to be on this side of the house it will become the official front side. 




The side of the house that is currently the official front with the front door on the right. No one ever sees this side except our neighbors as they drive past this to get to their driveway. I never even see it from this angle unless I'm walking around our yard. 


The back of the house: 



1 comment:

MandaMommy said...

I am....SOOO....JEALOUS!!! AHH!! It's okay...someday we'll own a house, I know it... I can't wait to see it someday. This IS going to happen.