Monday, December 26, 2016

Alec's birthday

Alec has hit the double digits!! Our first baby is now 10 years old.  Wow. He's turning into such a fine young man. There are so many qualities about him that I love. He is SO good with younger kids.  He can share his toys really well, and is often the only kid who will share his special treat with another kid who doesn't have any. At school, he trades stuff with his friends if he has something they want. He has such focus and determination to finish projects he's in the middle of. He's SUPER creative, always coming up with fun games to play either by himself or with his siblings. He's a wonderful artist and can sketch an X wing in less than 30 seconds. He's physically coordinated and has really developed in soccer this year with his twice a week 90 minute practices. His ball control, aggressiveness, passing ability, confidence and defensive awareness have all improved.  He has a wonderful sense of humor and has that kind of deep belly laugh that brings Chris to tears when they both get going.  He has an insatiable appetite for knowledge and has a great need to fully understand things. He loves to read interesting fact books and remembers random bits of trivia fairly well.  His favorite books recently are the Percy Jackson series. He read the first book in like 4 days or something.  He likes to do silly dances and sing really loud when he's feeling extra happy. Though, he won't admit it, I believe he also loves physical touch. He can hardly contain himself to not touch people when he walks by them (especially if he's angry and then its a swipe at the arm or a brushing of the shoulders), he likes to play the game where he tries to not let me kiss him goodnight... a full scale wrestling match where he's laughing and giggling the entire time. I always win and manage to give him a quick peck on the cheek or forehead.  Sometime he puts up such a good fight that I'll try to give up but then he'll get sad and ask me to keep trying.  Whew... I'm really going to be out of my league both physically and mentally when this kid really hits the teenage years. Heaven help me. 




(I love this picture because I caught Alec smelling his new book...a thing he got from me. I LOVE the smell of crisp new glossy pages. I'm sure its some toxic chemical but to me, its the smell of a beautiful new story)

Grandma and Grandpa Dixie got him this sweet microscope! He loves it.





Alec also takes after me and loves cookies n' cream. This year he requested an ice cream cake. Yellow cake, with a cookies in cream ice cream later and Chris' chocolate whipped cream frosting with crushed oreos. It was SOOO good. I made the layers and Chris assembled it. He did a great job.


We spent most of the day hanging out around home, playing with toys, working on puzzles and around lunch time we did presents and cake and then started packing up to leave for Texas. We got Alec's favorite take out: Taco Bell for dinner a few hours into the drive.  We love our Alec boy!

No comments: