Thursday, July 30, 2020

My birthday

I got to celebrate my birthday all weekend. It started with a fun shopping trip with Hailey on Friday while Chris and the kids cleaned the house! We went up to the Traverse Outlet Mall in Lehi. It was a really nice few hours.  A lot of my clothes don't fit anymore since I've lost so much weight (over 60 lbs since a year ago when I was 9 months pregnant and only ~15 lbs were pregnancy related).  Its all due to having diabetes and needing to exercise every day and eat a low carb diet.  I'm not sure I've ever needed so many new clothes all at once, its kinda fun. 

Then on Saturday we went for a fun family hike to the dripping rock in Spanish Fork. (The first few hiking pictures are from a different hike a few days earlier up Rock Canyon) But the Dripping Rock hike involved crossing some bridges, including a cool suspension bridge) and some fun steep hills. We passed the dripping rock within the first 1/2 mile, so we motivated the kids for the rest of the hike with a promise to stop and wade in the creek on our way back. 

The water was cool and everyone enjoyed stepping on the rocks and going under the dripping embankment. 






After our hike we got donuts at a grocery store and I gave myself a whopping 4 units of insulin so I could have a salad and 2 donuts for lunch.  Then Gwendolyn helped get a nice hot bath ready for me to soak in and afterward gave me a long foot and hand and back massage (with a little help from Chris).  Then Chris and I went out to dinner at Outback Steakhouse. Its the first time we've eaten IN a restaurant for many months due to the COVID quarantine.  We got out of the mostly messy-again house a little late and Outback wasn't our first choice and the whole evening didn't feel as 'special' as maybe I had hoped it would and it was a little depressing for me to have to walk in with my mini cooler stuffed in my purse that held my insulin pen, look up every interesting item on the menu to see how many carbs were in it, and try to add up various portions of various foods to try and get a balanced, perfect amount of carbohydrates.  So the evening started out a little sad but my mood improved with good conversation and delicious food served to me. After a short walk in our new favorite park, Neilson's Grove, we snuck in the house and watched a movie in our room (unbeknownst to the kids... Alec put Max and Freddy to bed and Charlie helped Gwen get safely to her bed). It was a great evening. Then Sunday, my ACTUAL birthday, Chris and the kids gave me a yummy, 30 carb breakfast in bed of scrambled eggs, bacon, strawberries and yogurt and an english muffin.  I opened some really thoughtful and amazing presents! .. a massage gun, a simple pearl necklace and earrings, a scented candle - from gwen, Throw Throw Burrito game - from Max, a beautiful nail polish with a bottle of clear top coat - from Freddy, an amazing generation chart with pictures from my grandma and a sweet card from my parents.  

During our home sacrament time and Sunday School lesson, the kids were maybe a little more reverent/participatory than usual. (Which actually isn't that reverent... we're really really struggling with getting through even a 10 minute thought!)  Then we went over to Thom and Brittany's house to celebrate all the June and July birthdays with the rest of the Archibalds.  Dixie made a delicious salted chocolate caramel tart... which I could have a tiny tiny piece of!  Chris kept giving me sweet compliments all day like, "You look so beautiful" "I love that new skirt" "It feels like my birthday because I get to look at beautiful you"  I also had a lot of friends send me birthday wishes of some kind, it feels so good to be remembered.  I made a commitment to myself to improve in few areas as I embark on another year of life, like morning study time and intentional positive moments with my children.  Its only been 5 days and I can already feel a difference in my inner strength and peace. 


Oh! I almost forgot that I got together with my sisters on Monday for a dinner and craft night in that same Neilson's Grove park. It was such a beautiful evening and the conversation/company was so relaxed and enjoyable.  They also gave me such thoughtful gifts. It feels like one of my best birthdays ever. What a wonderful thing life is. 

No comments: