My mom came in town for an extended family reunion with all her Moncur cousins. It is so fun being able to go to things like this that we've not been able to attend previously due to the massive distance of living far away! I got to see some of my cousins that I haven't seen in a long time. My mom's immediate family sang some of the hymns and children songs that my mom and her sister, Tara wrote for the church's new song/hymnbook collection. Also, two of my second cousins played some fun violin duets to popular songs and really inspired Charlie to want to learn how to play the violin. They were really good!
Chris and I left a little bit early because there was another family get together with Chris's family and some of his cousins that I've never really met before. They had some bouncy water slides and a bunch of games for the kids and more yummy food. It was really fun.
We left that a bit early because Tiffany was going into labor! Chris dropped me off so I could be there and help. She was doing a home water birth with a midwife. It was really interesting and beautiful. Tiffany is such a strong, intuitive women. (For these reasons, I ALMOST didn't want to be there since I would be doing the same thing very soon, I didn't want to compare myself to her and feel less... but I was really interested in how a water birth would go and I thought I could overcome any feelings of inadequacy!)
I got there and she was in the bath in the middle of intense labor and my mom had just arrived a little bit earlier with Cafe Rio dinner for the kids. I checked in with Tiff and then helped the kids find food. I didn't want to be in the way and there was already enough people to help hold her hands, or air her face that I ended up entertaining her 3 year old, Henry, downstairs. After a while, I wanted to check in on them so Henry and I went upstairs and she was pushing! Tessa was born moments later, with Andrew, Mary, Henry, Todd, Mom, her midwife and I supporting her.
Tessa Jane stayed on her tummy for a good hour as they waited for the umbilical cord to stop pulsing and deliver the placenta. Mary and Andrew helped cut the cord. Her midwife was very informative, spewing forth bits of knowledge as it pertained to whatever the topic was. She talked the kids through the newborn check explaining what she was doing and why she was doing it and what it meant for Tessa. So fun to have the kids so involved and I'm glad I could be a part of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment