Monday, August 17, 2020

Archibald Family Reunion Bear Lake 2020



We rented a big house on the Idaho side of Bear Lake.  COVID cases were low enough that everyone felt comfortable gathering together. It was a lovely break from quarantine mode.  We went to the lake on two different days, did a cave tour and swam in the pool on another day. We also had fun cooking, eating, exercising (some bike rides, some runs, some zoom workouts inside), playing games, making bleach/tie-dye t-shirts, watching the welders work on the giant, cool, metal, play, boat thing attached to deck, and just talking together. On the last night we watched a slide show of all the pictures people took during the week and sang primary songs (at GG's request).  Watching the 4 babies (5 if you include Max) eat and 'play' together was so fun. Eddie and Kayla brought these push/ride on toys that they all loved. Also we got raspberry shakes a lot of nights. Trying to manage all the delicious food with my 4 insulin shots a day was tricky and heartbreaking sometimes. 






























Since GG's presence wasn't anticipated when reservations were made we were a bedroom short and it was a little uncomfortable figuring out which couple/family would share a room with her... and for a few minutes it was looking like Chris and I would need to do it as we were the last ones to arrive and get a choice despite having the most kids sleeping in our room with us but Brittany and Thom made the sacrifice to switch rooms with us and got the smallest 2 queen bed room to share with her and have Davis sleep in pack in play in the closet. It was such a kind and selfless gesture that not everyone realized they made. I felt a little bad for grumbling. Not the only time I sort of had a melt down. I had a couple of hard moments this trip, personally. It was my first time traveling since having diabetes and it just makes everything complicated. I hated arriving late, after everyone was eating but we had to unload our entire car first to get to the cooler that had my insulin in it before I could eat. By the time everyone finished eating, they all left to go swimming (my kids begging to go with them) but we still had to eat and figure out where we'd be sleeping. The whole reason we were late was because we made a long detour to stop by Herriman to borrow kayaks and paddle board for everyone to enjoy.  We had to stop to figure out how to get the ties from vibrating in the wind so they wouldn't make an extremely loud and atrocious noise while we drove.   Then half-way during the week I got an email from a medical supply company asking me about my preferences for my pump that was in the process of getting ordered.  I had no idea clue about any of the preferences and felt pressure to make non-reversible decisions about the device that would keep me from dying! I emailed my doctor to get his opinion and yet didn't hear back from him for a couple of days.  This brought home the concept that my life was about to change forever. I would be getting a pump and have to be connected to it, 24/7... for the rest of my life. I was grumpy about it and really felt the lack of privacy to really process all these emotions. It was a rough week for me, but Chris is patient and loving and his family really is wonderful and supportive. I went on a long walk/run with Brittany and cried and vented. 

No comments: