Friday, March 9, 2018

Pinewood Derby



With having my hands full at home night and day, I told my presidency that I'm ok to not do a Pinewood Derby this year. But everyone said they'd help out and I know a lot of people in the branch really enjoy it so we ended up doing it. Besides, our cubscout program fell apart last summer when our cubscout leader moved away and this activity at least gives our boys a taste of what cubscouts is like.  With our fiasco of an attempt at doing really fast cars last year, Chris and the boys were really determined to do better this year. We let the kids sketch out whatever design they wanted and then Chris cut it out with our scroll saw. Then the kids sanded and painted it and Chris and I glued on weights to try and reach 5 oz. Charlie's is the black car, first in the bottom row, then Gwen's teal with red and glitter stripes is next in line, followed by Freddy's multicolored one, then skip a car and the skinny gray fade to black car is Alec's.


I pulled out some decorations I made for the pinewood derby two years ago and Chris, once again, figured out the brackets and ran the races. We let the kids take turns pulling the lever down to let the cars drop on one of their car's official runs.  A lot of the races were really close and our 1 young man, Holden, used his mom's phone with the slow-motion camera to double check our eyesight.




Turns out the overall winner of this race, despite getting crashed around a bit at home before hand, was.... Frederick!! He was super excited and super fun to watch.  Charlie, Alec and Gwen all finished in the top 6 or so. Not a bad showing for the Archibalds! Go Chris!



No comments: