Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Camping in Jasper

For the May-long weekend, we took some time to camp in the great Canadian Rockies at Jasper. I'm so glad we did. Our friends were camping Fri-Mon, and we joined them for Sunday night and then stayed Monday night ourselves. It was only 2 nights but it was still so worth it.

First night around the camp fire roasting s'mores.

The kids spent the first couple of hours picking up every rock they came across and putting it in the cup holder of their camping chairs. Why? Because every rock was a 'great skipping rock' of course. Here Alec is asking Chris which rock is THE best skipping rock.

 In the tent getting ready for to sleep. Its 11:00 PM and just barely dusk. The kids slept in until 8:00 and did pretty well the first night except for Gwen getting cold and needing to snuggle with Daddy in his sleeping bag from 3:00 on.  She did better the second night when she slept in 2 sleeping bags on her own.

 We played washer toss, and watched as our friend's son taught our kids how to shoot pine cones with a slingshot, and visited Sunwampta(?) Falls, and then our friends took us all out for ice cream in Jasper town. It was fun to both have times with friends and then to have some time just with our own family after our friends left.

We saw lots of elk.

 We were reminded of last summer when I took the kids on a rafting trip down the river on a boat like that.

We skipped rocks in Pyramid Lake.

 Ate lots of meals and snacks in the car. Somehow Gwen ended up with everyone's apples since she doesn't like the skin and that seems to be all the boys will eat. 

 We saw a grizzly!

It was super close to our road and we watched it forage for 10 min before some idiot shot a firework at it!! Chris was just about to barge out of the car and record the license plate of whoever did it and report them to the rangers...when... I realized it WAS the rangers who shot it. We were parked on the side of the road about 1 km from our camp ground and realized the rangers were trying to scare the bear away from the town and campground.  Getting ready for bed that night, just 30 minutes later, we heard the firework / flare go off a few more times... pretty close sounding from our campsite. The campground was like a ghost town since the night before was PACKED, and now that it was Monday night, it was pretty much empty.  We only saw 1 other tent besides ours.  I was nervous walking in the dark to brush my teeth and go to the bathroom but it ended up being just fine as no bears bothered us that night. :)

The next day was Chris' birthday! We celebrated by driving home, and quick dropping him off at work for a meeting at noon, letting him make dinner for us all (since I'm not into cooking recently), and by having a DQ cake and opening a few presents.  Happy Birthday Chris! I surprised him a week later with tickets to watch the Canadian national Mens Soccer team play Costa Rica in a friendly, with 2 other couples we're friends with. It was a fun night.

1 comment:

dixie said...

What a great vacation. Love the pictures! So glad you got to go.